GFRC questions - Gore design recommendations

Is the VF-774 available through Ball Consulting recommended by Gore Design the same as the Buddy Rhodes acrylic additive?

Is the liquifaction compound comparable to BR superplaticizer?

What is #30 silica sand? Is this masonary sand? Play sand? I can't find the same terminology from our vendors in KS - seems to be a terminology difference here.


Thanks for the help in advance.


Tags: Design, GFRC, Gore

Views: 848

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Michael,
Yes the VF-774 is the same as our BR Curing Polymer. We just package it in smaller containers for smaller projects and ease of use.

I think the BR Super Plasticizer is similar to the liquifaction compound but will have to check with Mr. Gore on that.

#30 silica sand is a small grain white sand. The number #30 means there are 30 openings in one square inch of mesh.
This size slips through the opening of the hopper gun. Anything bigger might get stuck in the orifice.
I think masonary play sand will work just fine.

One more thing- you do some very nice work.
Thank you! I getting ready to start your GFRC DVD. Im excited to learn this process, and i already have some BR product i would like to try.

Hey Brandon, 
I thought you guys used your liquefaction in the SCC as well, or did I just misunderstand from the DVD?

Gore Design Co. said:
Our Liquefaction compound is different than Buddy's plasticizer - it is a powdered plasticizer that we specifically use for our face-coats only. Both work fine.

Hey Guys

What's the difference between the Acrylic Additive and the Concentrated Curing Polymer



Although both white, they're very different.  The acrylic additive has less solids compared to the 53% solids of the curing polymer.  The curing polymer eliminates the wet curing time thus you can flip your pieces over next day.

In a nutshell, the curing polymer yields a stronger initial concrete so you can flip your pieces over in 24 hrs, process it and get it out the door.

Thanks Nick.


I was curious about the chemical differences (not in detail) so thanks for mentioning a bit about that.


Are you using the curing polymer in most of your applilications? I.e pressed finish or primarily just GFRC

Yes, I'm using curing polymer in all my applications, pressed, trowelled, vibrated and GFRC.

It's really easy to get used to making one mix and based on a slight water content difference and the use of plasticizer you can have all the different finishes.

Well..thanks again Nick!


It doesn't take much for me to get confused about the differences between the different additives, lol


but also the original question was...."Is the VF-774 available through Ball Consulting recommended by Gore Design the same as the Buddy Rhodes acrylic additive?"


and Buddy responded..."Yes the VF-774 is the same as our BR Curing Polymer"


and on Buddy's online store I can't tell what the actual differences are either. The descriptions seem similar to me.


Buddy Rhodes Acrylic Additive is a liquid acrylic polymer emulsion designed as an admixture for cement based products. It improves the bonding of the Buddy Rhodes Paste and makes it extremely hard. Our  Acrylic Additive may also be used with the base mix to promote curing, reduce shrinkage, and increase stain and abrasion resistance.


Buddy Rhodes Concentrated Curing Polymer

Buddy Rhodes Concentrated Curing Polymer is a GFRC (glass fiber reinfored concrete) specific, all acrylic, co-polymer dispersion. Buddy Rhodes Concentrated Curing Polymer works as a curing agent for cement and adds polymer strength and durability to the final concrete matrix.


I don't recall the concentrated curing polymer being discussed as a seperate product at the weekend course I took.


The acrylic additive and water reducer yes but...


Thanks again!

Thanks Brandon, that certainly helps clarify a lot for me. I Appreciate it.

Well..maybe except for one thing, i'm assuming the original acrylic is still preffered for infilling voids with the paste or could I reduce the inventory of BR Acrylic to one product..the Concentrated Curing Polymer.

Reply to Discussion


Order On-Line!

© 2014   Created by Shawn Hays.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service